Defund 48 (actually dont, I still love it with my whole heart)

For the last couple years, in the hours before the 48 Hour Film Project Des Moines kicks off I've spent too much time thinking about how the next two days will be a wild mystery that produces a fully unknown film. Our 2024 film is a perfect illustration of this, I mean who would pre-plan to make a movie about a secret plot to force the dissolution of a homeowners association. And now nearly a month later, I get to break down the ridiculous short "Defund the HOA."

Those who know Brian Hogan, know he is something of a collector of the nostalgic and peculiar. Somewhere along the line he purchased a flag that states "Defund the HOA." During our regular 48 brainstorm, this flag was brought up and the all other ideas were out the window. Given our penchant for ensemble pieces a plot formed about an HOA board and a terrorist-like threat. Just reeking in Tiny Explosions trademark of demented flair.

Production and editing went smooth, the result is probably our best paced film to date. We didn't fully go for the throat with jokes, but the plotting and twists made up for it. Still, both screenings were full of big laughs causing my Grinch-like filmmaker ego to grow four-sizes before I pushed it back into its cage by the end of the showcase.

Ultimately the film walked away from Best of City with awards for Best Editing and Best Direction. And as you can see above, it's available for all to view. I'm weird about awards, it's documented. But as someone who pretty much idolizes film directors, winning Best Direction is quite fun. People only remember the overall winner, but I will remember winning Best Director for two 48 competitions in a row.

So what are the take homes from defunding the hoa? We are a well-oiled machine that enjoys it soft spots like everyone else. The production of this film had a whiff of deja vu about it. We had an outline, cast and props in place, I was cutting bits on the fly, and we improvised much of the dialogue and practical effects. It was fun, but for the first time after I submitted the film I had a real sense that we left a lot on the table. Like there were clear plot and visual elements that we didn't quite nail. I might have even annoyed some teammates by saying too often "It's not the funniest thing we've ever made," and "Not sure we'll make Best of City."

One of my filmmaking heroes Ridley Scott says don't read your press, artists know in their gut what they've got. I know we made something damn good, only above average for our current capabilities. So harkening back to my long appreciation for iteration and improvement; I'm adding a wrinkle to Tiny Explosions filmmaking model.

Saturday mornings are now officially the review and punch-up window. Can we carve out montages, asides, and pace droppers? Where can we add movement, tension, action? What gags can be amped up? What's redundant? What's stolen? What keeps me on the edge of my seat as an audience member? Is the ending a ripper? Et cetera. 

I am not dumping on Defund the HOA. I enjoy it. Of the 31 films we've made, Defund is easily in comfortably in my top 7. I imagine my reaction is something resembling how Fincher felt after Benjamin Button, Edgar Wright felt after World's End, or Danny Boyle felt after T2 Trainspotting; I wish I could make that again. I know how that film could be a unquestionable knock out. Hopefully with this new wrinkle in our project management, we'll have a better of shot at realizing that potential. Luckily that opportunity is only a few weeks away with Horror 48 coming October 4. Stay tuned, it's about to get gnarly.


Before I wrap up, here is my annual three favorite films of 48. Once again, I've only seen about half the films so it's hard to say these are definitely the best films overall. But these three were my favorite of the 2024 competition (as always exluding our film, because don't be that guy).

  1. Cautionary Tales by by Cutting Room Floor
    Hilarious, well written, tones of animation, really turned the required prop into something unforgettable. Want to see it again on the big screen.

  2. Good Enough by Slater Maxwell
    It is damn risky in 48 making something serious, but beyond that there is a level of vulnerability when you write something as secretly real as Good Enough. Loved the acting, the look, the music, and overall so glad Slate Maxwell returned. After I saw it, I told one of their team leaders I thought they could take home a half dozen awards. If I had a vote, they would have.

  3. Sharp by A Morning Run
    Really clever and great pace. Clever use of the camera all over the place. Worthy Best of city winner.

Now that you have seen our film, know the backstory, and heard about my favorites... would you like to learn "How to Defund the HOA."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can't go back to being a weatherman

FCC to the net neutrality rescue

Tech Talk: Tune in to network TV, but for a fee