The curtain goes up on "No Shortcuts"

 A year and a half ago I had an idea for a short film. Between that moment and roughly a year later I turned that idea into an actual thing, No Shortcuts. That is probably the best thing in filmmaking; a match is sparked and if you've got the supplies you can get a pretty righteous fire roaring. Well my small fire came together this past March and TONIGHT in Burlington, Iowa at the Snake Alley Festival of Film, audiences will get the chance to warm their hearts and minds with it.

Did that metaphor work? I'm not sure. Idea, production, creation equals match, spark, fire. Right? Oh well. I've been watching a lot of Justin Hawkins Rides Again lately so I'm prone to metaphorical and performative fun at the moment. 

If you haven't been playing along, No Shortcuts is a one-man-band film I produced over the course of 2021 and early 2022. It's a mix of my 8 year-old self wishing he had the strength of The Ultimate Warrior so he could run a mile in 5 minutes and my 38 year-old self struggling to stay motivated and work out.I'm pretty proud of it, but I am not excited to do the solo thing again. There are just too many things happening in this film and to do it perfectly it needed multiple talents, many of which I am nowhere near a master at. Still I love it and have watched it quite a bit.

Tonight! No Shortcuts is premiering as part of the 6pm block of films at the Snake Alley Festival of Film in Burlington, Iowa! Sadly, I can't go. We just got back from a week long vacation. Before that I was in LA for a week of work. And my household is as busy as it gets. Marieta is working her tale off, Emmalyn has all this stuff we gotta do before Kintergarten, Elli is a cute little bug along for the ride, and next week is 48HFP for me. Oh and in a couple weeks there is the Iowa State Fair. So Burlington just isn't in the cards. A bummer for sure, but you can't do everything and be everywhere. At least, not without risking divorce. (That's a joke, nothing like that is even remotely in the cards for the v2008 Bobergs.)

I really dig SNAFF. The theater is awesome, the people are great, the table read thing is truly unique and something I wish every film festival did, the SNAFF swag is cool, and Burlington is rad town. I truly wish I could be there for the No Shortcuts premiere. BLAST! If by some chance you're near southeastern Iowa and you're reading this before 6pm, Friday, July 22, 2022 well then jump in your car and drive over to the Capitol Theater! You won't regret it.

Here's hoping I can see my film at the next festival, Alternating Currents in Davenport. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Producing "USS IOWA"

I can't go back to being a weatherman

Filmmaking beats film viewing